Drain on the State

irlandaise

Hi Everyone,

Here's my problem, all thoughts or advice gratefully received. I have a rare condition which is expensive to treat. The NHS my entire life have footed the bill and for that I am most grateful. For the past ten years I have lived in France and traipsed backwards and forwards to have checkups and get my drug. I would like to live all the time in France. Does anyone have any idea if the French state is likely to allow me a residency here given that if I had medical treatment here I would be a drain on the State.

I would be happy to continue to receive treatment from the Uk if I could have french residency here, build a life here and pay taxes here if that were the price of French residency but as I understand it if I become a french resident they would be obliged to pay for the treatment in France and it would no longer be available in the UK.

I would point out too that the treatment varies throughout europe and the Uk and France are by no means the best. Treatment is based on the minimum neccessary to stop me being permanently hospitalized not the treatment neccessary to lead a pain free normal life so in no sense is it a blank cheque.

As a committed european I would like to be on the mainland in France rather than semi detached in the UK.

Anyone had a similar situation or any thoughts to offer.

Thanks