E106 - does it include partner?

Fitzsie

It has taken two months but I have just received my E106 from DWP, Newcastle. Before sending off the application I was told by them that I could include my partner and so provided all of his details on the form such as NI number etc. However on receipt of the E106 it doesn't mention his name , although there is the box to include one family member's name when giving the form to CPAM. As we are not married can he be classed as a 'family' member in France or should he have applied for an E106 in his own right? If that's the case then I guess it will be another 2 month wait for him to be covered. Any advice would be greatfully received.

We often come across similar confusion about E106, because E106 is normally issued on an individual basis rather than to couples. However dependants in the same household can be included on your health cover in France as long as they don't qualify for health care in their own right, e.g. they are working or receiving UK state retirement pension.

Unmarried partners have few rights in France unless you are covered by a PACS agreement, and even then it's not the same as being married so unfortunately I think your partner will need to seek his own health cover.

Your profile doesn't say where in France you are, but CPAM de la Manche has a dedicated English-speaking help line to aid newcomers joining the French social security and health services, the assistants are very helpful and used to dealing with queries like yours. Other CPAMs where there are a lot of English speakers might offer a similar service.

Thanks, I thought that he will have to apply on his own right. Just a bit annoyed that the DWP didn't advise me of this in the beginning when I asked them. Have even tried to ring them today but constantly engaged! I'll have to keep trying though just to another E106 applicaton. We live southern Charente so I guess CPAM in Angouleme will be the place to get in touch with. Don't have a phone book at the moment so will have to ask some friends for contact number & full address. We will get there! thanks for the advice anyway.