top up health insurance

pam&ranaldPam & Ranald

Hello,

Top up insurance is not obligatory but is certainly recommended and you will have no problems finding cover for pre-existing conditions. As far a recommendations is concerned what is good for one may not be suitable for another. As far as Wills comment about there not being a lot to choose between

any of them, I would go some way in agreeing with this because there is a lot of mediocrity about. Nevertheless having studying this subject I have come to the conclusion that there are many people who could probably obtain better value cover.(I am not an insurance broker). The reason for this is that insurers apply all sorts of criteria when assessing premiums but not all insurers apply the same criteria. Even the obvious criteria of age can be applied differently. Some providers, for example, insuring a couple will base the premium on the younger partner. Where you live can also be a factor. You will probably pay higher premiums if you live in a big city but the converse does not necessarily apply. If you live in a remote rural area some providers will load your premium because things like ambulance costs and doctors home visits will cost more. In short there are no hard and fast rules but the one conclusion I have come to is that if you are in general good health and a looking for cover the serious stuff such as hospitalisation only then you are likely to obtain a better deal from a commercial insurer as opposed to a "mutuelle".

Regards

Peter Owen

[email protected]