Stoma Care in France

Venturer

Hi,

We are intending to move to France just as soon as our house is sold. My 84 year old Mum is probably coming with us. She has a Colostomy.

Does anyone know how care, and supplies of bags etc., which is free and delivered to the door in UK, works in France?

It would be nice to be able to set her mind at rest     Smile [:)]

Thanks for the replies,

1.We're probably looking at Gironde .

2. Thanks - I had a look at the Hollister site - I already know she won't have a problem actually getting bags etc -  but I was  more after finding out whether there is any system of 'NHS'- type funding of  them and what kind of medical back up, as a lady of her vintage, she could expect.? It really needs someone who is in the know about the actaul problem and coping with it .

We didn't really get much help at all with our daughter (ileostomy) with the exception of our superb French GP - who made lots of calls and nagged people on our behalf. Perhaps it may be worth visiting a local GP to discuss this when you have an area in mind, it probably differs alot from region to region.

Good luck!

Hello Venturer,

The reason why I asked where you were intending to live is because there are "Associations de Stomisés" throughout France. There is one in Bordeaux. You can contact:

Jean Lauga

ASAG

6 rue Terrasson

33000 Bordeaux

Tel: 05 56 80 40 89

I think all the treatment would be covered 100% once she is affiliated in that the reason for the colostomy would have been a serious disease e;g cancer. But as in all these matters a case would have to be put up by your GP to the CPAM.

Regards

Owen

[email protected]