Health insurance in France

tech-teacher

My partner and I are moving to France this summer.  He is a French citizen and I am an American citizen.  To get my long term VISA I need to get health insurance for myself.  I was considering going on a student VISA.  When I was researching this option I kept reading that students could get insurance for about 450 Euros a year.  Now that I'm just considering the lng term VISA for non-professional purposes I don't see insurance so cheaply.  I want basic coverage nothing too fancy as we may not stay a long time.  Any ideas on what to expect to pay?  Who would you suggest I look to for insurance?  Do I need to go to France to get the insurance?  Of course you all know the need insurance to get a cart du sejour and need a carte du sejour to get insurance routine I am about to embark on.  If we decide to stay longer than a year and stay permanently I will just pay into the French system but for one year I'd prefer to go as cheap as possible.  Maybe going on a student VISA would be better, what do you think?