TV in France - FAQ

Thanks to all of those who have posted information before, from which this FAQ has been distilled, and thanks too for the updates to the first version of this FAQ. A search in the archives will find more detailed information, and links to other websites, for those wanting to know more about setting up satellite systems etc.

Ammended - 25th October 2011

Will my British television work in France?

As of the 29th November 2011 all terrestrial TV in France will be transmitted digitally and the old analog system will be turned off. Fortunately the UK and French digital systems are almost the same to the point where a French digital TV (known as TNT) will work in the UK and a UK digital TV (known as Free-View) will work in France. If you have an old type TV that requires a Free-view decoder in the UK you can bring it, and the decoder, with you.

Will I get English programmes in France through an aerial?

No - unless you are in one of the coastal areas where you can pick up programmes from the Channel Islands. You will of course need a Free-View decoder (or a French TNT decoder) as the Channel Islands changed to digital on the 17th November 2010.

So can I get any English language programmes in France?

Yes, you can pick up satellite transmissions, either via Sky, or alternatively BBC and some other English-language programmes can be received through French satellite systems. Although the broadcasters will, correctly, tell you that receiving British programmes overseas comes outside the scope of their broadcasting licences.

Can I use English video and DVD players or Sky digiboxes with a French TV?

Yes. The vast majority of TVs sold in France also work on the UK standard. If you connect the equipment with Scart cables you should have no problems.

I've heard it's illegal to watch Sky in France - is this true?

It's a grey area. Sky's broadcasting licence covers only the United Kingdom. However BBC and some other channels are available in unencrypted format via satellite so it can be argued that they are thus freely available to anybody. Because of Sky's licensing restriction you can't subscribe to any Sky service from a foreign address, you shouldn't connect the Sky box to a telephone line if it's overseas (which means you can't use most of the interactive services) and you should never phone Sky from overseas. If you have a UK address you can use for correspondence, and a UK bank or credit card account, there is no reason why anybody should ever know you are watching in France. The satellite broadcasters do tend to turn a blind eye in general, while there are several companies that will supply and install Sky systems overseas, and provide subscriptions to Sky, albeit at a cost. If it was actually illegal then these companies would not be allowed to operate so openly.

If I have a digibox and dish, what channels will I get without a Sky card in the box?

Several of the main channels like BBC1,2,3,4 plus News 24, the BBC children's channels and Sky News. At the time of writing the ITV channels are also available. There are several other "odd" channels like shopping, games, religion. There is also a vast number of radio stations. These can all be received with no card in the digibox. But without a card you wont get CH4 or five.

Where can I get the equipment?

As mentioned above, there are several companies that will provide and install new digiboxes and dishes, with cards and subscriptions, at a cost. A cheaper solution is to buy the digibox and dish in the UK. Many people seem to buy off Ebay or other Internet auctions (used digibox about £50, new dish about £25 - cards can be comparatively expensive).

Does the Sky minidish work in France?

In theory you need a big 60cm minimum dish but the further south you go the bigger the dish required (80cm). With the launch in August 2011 of the new ASTRA 1N satellite in a lower orbit early reports from the owners indicate that the limit of reception will be North West France and that Central and Southern France will no longer be able to recieve UK programs. Some think however that unofficially you may be able to get them with an 80cm or 100cm dish but knowbody has done this yet as it's only just come on line and the channels have not moved to it yet. We will keep you posted.

Updated October 2011.