how many phones onto a single phone circuit in France

We live in USA, we have a single line which serves our Voice telephone, FAX and the computer.... of course, only one of these is "on-line" at any one time. However, within the house there are seven( yes, 7) places there are phone-sockets, and every socket has a phone connected to it so that if a Voice call comes through, one could answer from any location, thw FAX and the Computer are different. We will be moving to France "shortly"... would like to know from a knowledgeable (preferably technical person with firsthand experience in France) to advise me... all phone/Fax equipment is owned by us, and all wiring INSIDE the house can be (and actually has been modified, expanded etc) by the owner (me) without any need to inform or get permission from the Phone Company... How does it work in France, will I enjoy similar freedom as long as I do not interfere with the phone-line OUTSIDE the house... PLEASE explain. Thanks a million. Roberto Saturday July 31, 2004

We currrently have three phone points run from our single French line. Only tricky point was that the point French Telecom connect is labelled 'Tester' amd if this is in use none of the oter points work.

The system was wired in be an indepedant French sub contrator who checked the wiring on the two extensions I had wired in ( all 8 wires ) BUT for a single line you only need pins one and three connected and this is all F T connected.

I have not found any French equivalent of UK REM number which is a figure for the maximum number of bells, lights , answering machines and phones etc, that you can wire to a single line but ours is OK with two phones and a PC modem.

• 5 weeks later...

The French system is similar to both UK and US systems, in that it runs off a low-voltage current (24 volts if memory serves).  This determines the number of terminals that can be used.  In the UK I think you can use a maximum of 4 REN (Ringer Equivalent Numbers) on a standard domestic circuit -- i.e. up to four simple phones, bells or modems.  However, if you add more, as I have tried (two modems, one phone, one autoswitching fax machine with phone) then the system will get confused, and you'll get lots of buzzing on the line etc.

If you're planning to have lots of fax and phone traffic as well as using modems, then you will need to look at either installing ISDN (up to four separate analogue lines) or a separate line and number for fax/modem.  ADSL is an option too, but only supplies broadband access for (normally) two PCs plus an analogue phone line (fax or phone). 

ISDN is expensive (you rent the box from France Telecom); two lines are cheaper; ADSL can be cheaper still if you shop around (Tiscali.fr, tele2.fr as well as wanadoo.fr).  Depends on your needs: I would recommend ADSL if you spend most time on the PC, and use the phone line for phone and fax -- either a fax which can identify voice calls, or a simple fax machine which can be plugged in when you're about to receive a fax.

Finally, you can make any changes you like to the phone connections inside your house (adding extensions etc.).  All the necessary bits and pieces are freely available in DIY stores, even in larger supermarkets.  France Telecom is responsible for the local loop up to the junction box inside your house, so as long as you don't mess with their wires coming in, you're OK.  Same applies for your electrical supply, although DIY electrics can become somewhat more entertaining if you get it wrong....

If you want a professional to do the job, registered electricians are authorised to carry out work on domestic phone installations as well as France Telecom.  Indeed on one occasion France Telecom said they were too busy to help, so could I please call my usual electrician...  Hope this helps.