Analogue satellite receiver

Hello

We have inherited a Philips analogue satellite receiver (UK) with our house.  The satellite dish seems fine, as do the cables down into the sockets, and although there wasn't a remote control we have bought one of those universal remotes so we are one step forward now in that I can operate the box.

The television we are using is a UK one, and my understanding is that we will only be able to receive very basic French channels in black & white on an analogue receiver - but this suits us fine until we decide to upgrade etc.

However, using a scart lead, I can only get as far as a blue screen on the television with the names of the channels in the top right hand corner.  This is the same for every channel.

Does anyone have any advice as to what I can do next - is there something I can do with the combination of UK TV, analogue box, and universal remote that will lead to an actual picture on the screen?  Or am I flogging a dead horse?!

Thanks, Alistair

I suspect so!

Sounds like you are not receiving a satellite signal. This could be because;

You have a duff connection

You have a duff LNB/Dish

The receiver has forgotten it's programming

The satellite has moved! (likely, as most of the analogue satellites have been de-comissioned).

Blow 100E on a new digital system from your local supermarket.

As far as I know there are still clear SECAM signals to be had from a satellite at 5 degrees W. You could try finding this which will give you the basic French channels (TF!, F2, FR3, Arte, M6).

Viewed on your TV via the scart socket they will be - as you suspected - in b&w.

However a rooftop aerial and a cheap french VCR connected to the scart socket on your UK TV will give you much the same (the sat service for FR3 won't give you your local news... the aerial will).

Details of the actual frequencies on this site:

http://www.lyngsat.com/ab3.html

regards

paul