Missing text in emails

Hello

Irritating intermittant problem, any ideas?

Using Tiscali ISDN mailserver (mail.tiscali.fr) on a PC running w2000 and OE6. Every so often, we get a batch of emails with absolutely no text or attachments. These are emails that I would expect to have text (indeed, know that they were sent with text). It is consistent in as much that all texts received in the batch are stripped, but unpredictable in frequency or duration. The headers are received fine.

I am using AVG7 Pro, BTW, although the problem predates this installation.

Help!

When it happens, is it just all e-mails in a download or does on e-mail in a download start it of and the rest in that download are bad. After a “bad download”, does the next download run OK.

I’m afraid I don’t know the answer but one thought (if it happened moderately frequently) is that I believe with OE6 you can configure it to leave the messages on the mail server. Maybe enable that (i.e. leave the mail messages on the server after each download). After each download you will have to e.g. webmail to delete the messages but, when it goes wrong you can e.g. webmail and see if the messages are bad on the server or just in OE6 and also where the problems start and if there is anything weird about the last good/first bad mail message. If this works, maybe just delete the last good message and download again (see if it was that message). Then delete 1st bad message and download again, etc.

Just a thought that might give some pointers as to where the problems lie. Hope this helps and that the suggestions are not all impractical.

Regards

Ian

[quote]When it happens, is it just all e-mails in a download or does on e-mail in a download start it of and the rest in that download are bad. After a “bad download”, does the next download run OK.I’m afra...[/quote]

Hi

Thanks for this.

I have discovered that the problem is an OE6 one, as I am using 2 mailservers and the effect is the same with either; The downloads progress perfectly and the to, from, sent, received, account, subject etc. info is recorded, but the text (and any attachmnets) are missing. One further thought, it appears that attachments are received (by the time taken to download), it's just that they then "disappear".

Again, I suspect OE6 - how can I repair it? I have tried a repair from the original W2000 disk, but it does not find anything to repair. The MS website is not topo helpful, either.

Sorry I cannot advise as I have very little experience with OE6 (I actually use Outlook). Being “unfairly negative” to Windoze, I have found that once something is broken it can be virtually impossible to fix sometimes. My IE6 is broken (after a Windoze update) and nothing I do will fix it – so I’ve given-up.

I don’t know how much you love OE6, but one alternative that many people like is Thunderbird (from the Mozilla group). It’s a free download no spy/ad/any ware stuff like that (no online adds, nothing), meant to be secure, I believe it can import everything from OE6 (i.e. you should not have to start again with everything, etc. Mozilla stuff is fairly mainstream these days (http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/)

I was going to use it but I find I use the calendar, and Todo lists in Outlook which neither Thunderbird nor OE6 do.

Sorry I cannot be more help.

Regards

Ian