Skype, Poor Sound Quality and/or Poor Mic Volume

This post is for information to Skype users who may be having problems with either quiet sound (i.e. when they speak they are quiet to the other person) or sometimes a long delayed echo (which is actually caused by quite excessive mic volume which is “volume limited” at the other end so is not heard as being too loud).

Skype has a number of “special features” the developers have put in which can on some configurations work against you and have very bad effects. Skype can automatically decide to adjust the microphone volume despite who you set it on the Windoze sound settings. If you (or the person you are speaking to) suffer either volume too quiet (i.e. mic sensitivity too low) or a long delayed echo then I would recommend the following:

a. On the Skype options, under the headset/headphones tab, disable the checkbox that allows Skype to automatically adjust the sound device settings (i.e. you don’t want Skype to do this).

b. More complex is: Exit from Skype (completely (no icon in the task bar) and find the Skype CONFIG.XML file (normally under C:\Documents and Settings\\Application Data\. You must have exited from Skype before making changes and may want to take a backup copy of the file first. Also, in the section below [ is actually the open angled bracket/less than sign and ] is actually the close angle bracket/greater than sign. This forum seems to remove things in greater than/less than signs.Edit this with Windoze notepad (or anything and find the bit (probably near the top the has a line [call]) e.g.

[config version="1.0" serial="5083" timestamp="1110313537.56"]

[Lib]

[Call]

[AEC]0[/AEC]

[AGC]0[/AGC]

[IncomingPolicy]authorized[/IncomingPolicy]

[MicVolume]255[/MicVolume]

The two lines [AEC]0[/AEC]

And [AGC]0[/AGC] may be missing or set to 1. If missing, add then or if present set them to 0. Also, the 255 is the mic volume Skype wants to use (i.e. the volume it will set the mic to when making a call. 255 is max volume, 0 is silent. You may want to try different adjustments.

You also need to do the same further down the file under a section called [General]

e.g.

[General]

[AEC]0[/AEC]

[AGC]0[/AGC]

[AdvancedFaF]0[/AdvancedFaF]

(there is only one [general] in the file).

Now save the file and re-run Skype.

This should only be done if you have the problems (if it is not broke don’t fix it) and not as some people think as a “maybe it might make a good thing better”.

What happens is that Skype monitors the sound settings and if it feels they are not optimal will change them (despite what you might set in the Skype Options dialog. Sometimes you can see this on the Windoze volume control (e.g. set mic volume quite, speak and over about 30 secs Skype will adjust the sensitivity – you can see the slider move). However, on some sound cards Skype does not get it right which causes the problems. The above stops Skype from messing about like this. Make sure you take a backup, etc. and it is quite a fiddle so be sure you are happy. Getting it wrong can mess-up your Skype and require a re-install (I messed up mine one time). All at your own risk but many with problems have found the above solves those problems

authorized

I had the same problem of low mic volume making the programme impossible to use, no-one could here me.  Eventually using Knowledge Base on Skype advice by a user was to reduce 255 to 250.  (256 is equivalent to 0 ie no volume).  Hey preseto it worked at 250 so I changed it back to 255 and it stopped working again.  So 250 it is for me.

CHRIS

Hi Dubna,

I have tried your suggestion to improve my sound  on Skype.(Make it louder!) Went to knowledge base, but could not find any reference to 250 255 etc. Could you make a more fuller description for me. Thank you!

Lautrec

If you check in your CONFIG.XML (see above for location) and look for the MicVolume (in greater than/less than angles brackets) and if is up around the 200 or more (and not above 255) then ignore the CONFIG.XML. If less than around the 200 point then try increasing it (i.e. by editing the CONFIG.XML as described above but only the MicVolume bit) Its quite involved and quite technical so only do it if you are confidant as making a mistake can destroy your Skype settings and require a re-install. Always make a copy of CONFIG.XML before editing it “just in case”.

If the CONFIG.XML is a 200 or more, try searching for a Mic Boost option on your sound card settings. Windoze Control Panel, Sound and Audio devices, Device Volume (or just the Volume control) and Microphone Advanced Options. Unfortunately it can vary between different sound cards (and can sometimes be quite well hidden). It is a check box that makes a significant boost to your microphone volume.

Ian