I found out about this from this site, and have looked at the internet site.  It all sounds a little too good to be true.  Has anyone actually used it and is it as straightforward as it seems?  I will be on ADSL, are there any potential problems that I should know about? Any comments gratefully received.

Many thanks Claire

For off-peak (evenings and weekends), I tend to use TeleRabis (http://www.telerabais.com/index2.php). It’s a bit of a “pain” to use in that you have to dial this prefix number (0811 65 81 81), then dial your UK telephone number (00 44 etc.) but its only 1,4 centimes per minute (off peak). No accounts, no set-up, nor payment in advance, no subscriptions etc. Peak rate is a little more (3,3 cents per min)

Do check the web site for off-peak hours, etc. and for “catches”. For example, you start paying after dialling the prefix number and still pay even if e.g. you don’t get through (engaged, no answer, etc.). However, for me this is not a bit issue (where calls are likely to be longer) and its even cheaper than SkypeOut service.

Also, if you want to go your PC to telephone, there are people offering such calls free (that is in addition to PC to PC – talking about your PC to normal UK telephone landline)

Ian

I use phonexpat and have done for about 18 months. They are very cheap and you can make calls at any time of day or night. For example, last month we made 61 overseas (some as long as 20 mins)call and 12 local calls. The bill was 14 euros 23 cents. You will have to pay France telecom for the line every 2 months (about 25 euros). the bill from expat arrives by email and they take the money out of your bank. You do not have to give them notice to quit and if you recommend a friend to them they give you so many mins free anyway.