French digital satellite kits for use in UK

Intend to buy one of those cheapish 70 euro digital satellite kits when over for summer and wonder would it work in UK.

I have a dual band TV (pal-secam)but not sure of any other unforeseen problems.

Eventually it will be taken back to France, but would think its worth the price to see if its any good for German music programs I intend to see in UK during winter through Astra satellite

Any helpful information greatly appreciated

Martin

Jura

Any digital satellite receiver will work perfectly well anywhere in Europe.  There are plenty of free to air German channels on Astra 1 together with some French and Spanish.  There are also numerous Arab stations.

The Lyngsat site, as previously mentioned by another poster, will give you all of the information you will need. 

thanks for the information. I will be buying a set from castorama (or such like )for less than 100 euro and replace free to air box which is 3 years old. The FTA box is not that good and choice is quite limited.

I see BBC are about to offer a digisat package but will be much harder for them to find suppliers at this sort of price.

Hope to post to let you know how I get on ..still not sure if I need to provide address on purchase. Colleague sugests buying in Calais as they will be use to selling to UK citizens

martin

[quote]thanks for the information. I will be buying a set from castorama (or such like )for less than 100 euro and replace free to air box which is 3 years old. The FTA box is not that good and choice is qui...[/quote]

"....still not sure if I need to provide address on purchase. Colleague suggests buying in Calais as they will be use to selling to UK citizens......"

No you don't. You DO need to provide an address to buy a TV, but not a sat box (pretty useless without a TV, so logically the authorities consider it a given that you already own one).

Even if you did, there would be nothing to stop you giving a valid UK address: after all it's perfectly permissable to buy a consumer durable in one EU country and take it to another. 

p