To anyone who has a Sagem Livebox,

This is just a cautionary tale that might help other people who come across the same situation. Wanadoo is updating the Sagem Liveboxes remotely through the end of July (they sent an email to say it was happening, but not exactly when). Suddenly your box goes down, and when you call them, they say it's the upgrade and it could take up to 36 hours (it said it would take about an hour in the email).

I wait 36 hours, during which time I dare not restart the Livebox in case it disturbs the upgrade and it has to start all over again. After the set period, it still doesn't work. I call Wanadoo, they get me to reset the Livebox, still no joy and I can't get the configuration page up. After a ridiculous conversation, during which the Wanadoo woman tells me that this has nothing to do with the upgrade, and I fail to follow her step by step instructions as I have an English system (I can speak French but I don't know all the corresponding terms for Windows), I ask her if she could tell me what problems could arise after an upgrade so I can think around it...

No, I am told to go away and get someone who can 'translate' her every instruction about what to click on. I repeat my request for an educated diagnostic guess, but no, only step by step will do. I tell her I will do it myself and hang up.

As soon as I got off the phone I realised what it was. I had to get rid of the fixed IPs I had attributed to the computers, and allow them to get IPs automatically. When I then get through to the configuration page, I see that my connection is disactivated, and I have to activate it using my user 'identifiant' and password for the connection. All fixed. Coincidence, I think not....

Anyhow, I haven't redone the network yet, but looking at the config page, I think they have changed the range of IP addresses you can use for a fixed IP network. The old ones, which were different ranges for different types of connection, don't seem to be there anymore. There now seems to be only one range for all (if this isn't the case, I would be grateful for advice). I will attempt to set up the network again soon and am sure it will be fun.

Anyway, I thought I would post this in the hope that the money I spent calling Wanadoo might not be utterly wasted!

Bon courage...    

I've got a Livebox with fixed IP addresses for my client PC's How do I know if it has been 'upgraded' ?

My box currently says version 3202_220228 is that the same version as yours ? I did notice a week or so ago that a new advanced option 'DynDNS' had appeared but I've no idea if things are related.