Telephone and Internet

I speak as a total technophobe. Yesterday I got onto Fr Telecomms britline from the UK and was pleased to find how easy it was to order a telephone for our house in Nefiach ( near Perpignan) which we move into on the 30th of this month. We also want internet access on broadband and the operator informed me having checked that we could have an 8 meg for 43 euros a month going up to 48 after 3 months. It is a lot of money but I am happy to pay it to ensure good internet connection. That said does this mean that Fr telecom are going to be my internet service provider( rather in the style of BTworld) or do I still have to get an ISP such as wanadoo?. The computer we are taking with us from the UK, it was originally Windows 98 but our computer whiz son-in-law has changed it to XP.

Any advice gratefully relieved.

Lynarth

Sounds like you have ordered Wanadoo at 48€ a month with the telephone service, to give you a comparison www.free.fr give you the same deal for 29.90€ but their UK calls are are much less than half of Wanadoo's price. ie 1st min to UK, Free 3cts then 3 cts a min, Wanadoo 1st min 18 cts then 7 cts a min.

You won't need an 8Mb connection unless you are intending to download movies or get involved with on-line games. From what you have said, your computer wouldn't even be up to coping with that kind of usage anyway !

I would recomend you ask for a 1Mb connection which will be more than adequate for everything you want to do, including up/downloading digital photos etc. Remember it is still 20x faster than a dial-up connection. The cost of this is 29,90€ per month (incl. TVA) and will probably be less for the first three months.