Wanadoo to NTL world users

PS...I don't think it can be anything to do with NTL regarding Yahoo or Wanadoo as Spam mail. NTL technical support adivsed me to turn off my Spam filters on the server which I did and mail that is Spam is now sent to me. But still the mails are not delivered to NTL. But I just did a test message from my Wanadoo address to my NTL address and it was received fine :-)

bw's

Anne

As I said previously in this thread, I was finding that my e mails  from Tiscali/Alice weren't getting through to my friend with NTL after a couple of years of successful communication. SHE set up a Hotmail address and now all my e mails get through.

The default ntl webmail setting for spam is to delete it immmediately. This applies to all emails, even if you use Outlook Express rather than webmail. If you change the option to "forward to your inbox labelled as spam" the emails should be received OK.

You have to log into ntl webmail to change the settings.

Regards

David

To all recent posters...

If you read the earlier posts you will see that it doesn't matter what adjustments you make to your mail settings, NTL will bounce ANYTHING originating at an IP address belonging to Wanadoo. So, it's nothing to do with email addresses, it is simply the address allocated to you when you connect to your ISP (Wanadoo).

For a long time it has been felt, and in fact this is backed up with real evidence, that a large amount of spam originates in France. Recent statistices put France as SECOND in the world for volumes of spam. There are publicly accessible databases which show whether particular IP addresses are blocked; Wanadoo addresses are ALWAYS shown as blocked on these lists. This is because Wanadoo consistently refuse to address any abuse notifications.

NTL are unique in that they primarily use these lists to determine whether to accept or reject email; other ISPs take a less hard line and thus your emails will get through. This applies to Tesco.net too as that service is hosted by NTL.

The only resolution to this is for Wanadoo to take some firm action to reduce spam which originates on their accounts and then they will (eventually) get their blocking lifted. They do not seem inclined to do anything.

As previously stated you can subscribe to a relaying service and this will solve your problems. Two sites have been recommended; see earlier posts.

I hope this explains it in simple terms, and for those sceptics out there, there is plenty of information available in the internet if you care to look for it. 

Nev

David:

I did exactly as you said about Spam settings three weeks ago on the advice of NTL's technical support department. Despite doing this roughly 25% of my group mail (Yahoo) is not getting through to my NTL address but all of it is getting through to my Wanadoo address. There are other mails missing from NTL, like confirmation of orders from Amazon and I don't know how many other mails. NTL are just denying this problem and not appearing to try and fix it. I found a list called 'NTL Hell' where everyone is talking about this problem.

Nev:

I have just sent a test message from my Wanadoo account to my NTL account and it came through fine. My main problem is Yahoo list mail not getting through to NTL.

I wish NTL would listen....

Anne

I believe Wanadoo's solution to the problem of having their mail servers blacklisted is just to keep changing the IP addresses of thier SMTP servers. This would explain way mail is delivered sporadically. It just depends which Wanadoo SMTP server (I think they have about 10) sends the mail and if it's been blacklisted yet. Obviously this is no way to run an ISP, but as mentioned in this thread Wanadoo don't want to listen and blame everyone else.