Configuring Outlook

I currently have Outlook Express as my default email but I also have Outlook on my PC. Initially when I put Outlook on my PC it asked me if I wished to make it my default email. I said yes and everything appeared to be in order but I can't send/receive emails using Outlook. I have reverted to Outlook Express as my default email but when I open Outlook all my opened, saved emails etc are there including address book info etc. The only problem is I can't send/receive emails. Does anyone know the problem?

I also have a wanadoo.fr email address but I can only access it via the messagerie on wanadoo's homepage. How do I configure Outlook (preferably, if I can sort the above problem) or Outlook Express to send/receive my wanadoo.fr emails? I went through the usual process on Outlook Express of adding a new email address but it hasn't worked. It asked for a user name and password for the wanadoo.fr address and I inserted my user name and password for wanadoo itself but not sure if it is the same. Anyway, it won't work so something's wrong and I don't know what the problem is!!!

If you already had an e-mail address set up in Express and you said “Yes” to the make Outlook your default e-mail programme I think it should have automatically imported the email address(es) and settings you had in Express.

To check this, open Outlook and then select "Tools | E-mail Accounts… | View or change E-Mail Accounts".

(If you only have an option to “add” an email account, your email address details need to be set up – click on the “Next” button and follow the prompts and fill in the required info.)

Take the option to “view or change existing email accounts”.  Click on the name of your e-mail address and select “Change”.

You now need to check that the correct information is in the relevant boxes.  I cant be specific as it will vary according to internet service provider.  The information you require will be in the equivalent set up field in Express.   Click on “More Settings…” and make sure the settings are correct in the “Connection” tab.  (Click OK to close the “More Settings” window).

You can now use the “Test Account Settings” button to test if it works.

[quote

user="LJB"]

... The only problem is I can't send/receive emails. ...

... I also have a wanadoo.fr email address but I can only access it via the

messagerie on wanadoo's homepage. ...

[/quote]

What e-mail,accounts are you using to send/receive e-mails

in Outlook Express and are they configured in the same way in Outlook

As Ecossais say, Outlook is pretty good at importing things

from Outlook Express.

When you try and Send and Receive e-mails in Outlook what

error is reported ?

Ian

Thank you both for your replies. I have made Outlook my default email and checked all the settings as suggested. I have two '.co.uk' email addresses set up and I have checked all the settings and they are  exactly the same as Outlook Express, although the only option listed for connections in Outlook Express is a 'local area network' connection and in Outlook there is a choice of, I think, four, including modem, phone line etc. I left it as the LAN which is the same as Outlook Express but should it not be, perhaps, phone line as I don't have ADSL and it's the phone line it uses??? Anyway I performed the test settings for both email addresses and everything was successful, however I can only send emails (which are being received by the recipients) but cannot receive emails. I still have Outlook Express and when I opened it I found it was still receiving all emails. Any ideas why I still can't receive emails using Outlook?

If you say that Outlook can send e-mails but not receieve then

*Your connection must be ok

*You must be validating with an ISP somehow

So. I would look very carefully at the setting for incoming mail server (pop3) and check that EVERYTHING is the same as in Outlook Express (OE).

Strange though as the rest of your description suggest that you should be using a dial-up modem, unless you are going to a router/bridge which then dials the internet.

John

Might sound a bit daft but when you do a send and receive in

Outlook do it say “Sending AND Receiving” (just in case you send and receive

groups are “messed-up”).  In Tools, Send

and Receive Settings, Define Send & Receive Groups, probably the “All

Accounts” group (which you press the “Edit …” button for) you should have both

your e-mail accounts listed and on both it should have the “Receive E-mails”

option checked.

Also, if you have done a test then this receives and e-mail

(i.e. it first send an e-mail to your account then receives it back again).  Have you received this e-mail back as part

of the test ?

Ian