I recently copied a load of holiday photos from my harddisk onto a DVD using my laptop's internal DVD recorder, opened the DVD afterwards, checked they were there and then stored the DVD away. Yesterday I put the DVD back in and there was nothing shown as being on it. Used my wifes laptop DVD player and there they all were. The pictures were saved as jpegs, my player opens other CD's and DVD's no problem, anyone have any idea why my laptop now refuses to show anything on this particular DVD? 

Bobwils

Thanks Daryl but both options drew a blank, nothing shows although they are definately on there, the laptop doesn't seem to recognise 'home made' DVD's, pictures or video clips, its fine with CD's and bought DVD's (i.e. films) but not with the ones I have recorded, weird.

Bobwils 

Bob,

It sounds very much like a software problem. Try updating the software of your CD/DVD writer, launch the programme then drag & drop a couple of sample JPEG's into the prog, write them to a cd and see if your machine recognises the cd once you've finalised the disk.

Failing this, try and make a copy of your disk using another PC and see if your machine can read the copy.

Daryl

Hi Bob,

Has this worked OK in the past?  Are you using the same brand or format (+ or -) of DVD?  Or are you using an “RW” disc when in the past you have used an “R” (or vice versa)?  One of my PC’s seems to be rather fussy about recording on certain brands of DVD.

You should have a couple of options available to you to burn your pictures onto DVDs – ie, selecting the files in Windows Explorer and then “File > Copy to DVD” or you will have software like “Sonic RecordNow” etc for making CDs / DVDs.  Does it make any difference which programme / method you use to record your DVDs?

In theory, I don’t think any of the above should make a difference ….. but sometimes computers don’t always work they way they should!  Your “home made DVDs” should at least work on the machine they were created on.

In case you’ve deleted the pictures from your hard drive, you should be able to copy them onto your wife’s computer and then make a CD / DVD on her machine to move them back to your own.  Alternatively, can you make a copy of the DVD on her PC and try that copy on your own?

Just as well you’ve got 2 PCs in the house!