Apple OS-X and Wanadoo Livebox

Hi

Can anyone help?

I've got a neighbour who's trying to connect his Apple Powerbook to his Wanadoo account using a Livebox. I've had a look at it and the instructions SEEM to say that

a) I've gotta connect the livebox to the Apple using an internet cable -

i) Is this just for set-up or is it a "this is the only way to use it" option?

ii) Does it matter whether I use the red or the yellow ethernet socket? I presume not as surely at this stage it's just acting as a router

b) How do I "reach" the Livebox (on 192.168.1.1)? I have not attempted to tell the Apple that the router exists, it's just plugged in via the UTP cable. As far as I can tell, the

Apple DHCP gets in first and tries to issue a "strange" IP address to itself.

I am very PC literate but it's years since I used an Apple so and (simple( help would be most helpful....

Cheers

Bill

Dunno about Livebox but my Mac is coupled up to a broadband router. I'm at work at the mo, so I can't check the settings, but you need to tell the Mac to use the router-supplied address. To talk to the router I expect you should just be able to type 192.168.1.1 into the address bar of your browser. However, for my Buffalo router I discovered that it didn't like the standard OS-X Safari browser and I had to use Internet Explorer (no longer available for Macs AFAIK). You may need to get hold of Firefox or Opera in that case.

I'll try to look at my settings when I get home, but this is already turning into a long day!

Aah.. I see that at http://www.transcience.freeserve.co.uk/bramley-apple/tutorials/wanadoo-wireless.html there is also a comment

about Safari incompatibilities at various levels...

Thanks for the info... I'll get the guy to follow the Bramley instructions and see how far he gets...

Cheers

Bill