Can I network a WIFi laptop and a PC on Freebox

Can anyone offer any help or advice with this query?

I have a Free.Fr Freebox with a PC plugged into it and a laptop working on WiFi.

Can I network these through the Freebox or do I have to have some sort of physical connection?

Thanks

Bill

[quote user="Le 47"]

Can anyone offer any help or advice with this query?

I have a Free.Fr Freebox with a PC plugged into it and a laptop working on WiFi.

Can I network these through the Freebox or do I have to have some sort of physical connection?

Thanks

Bill

[/quote]

Depending on the box.

The most recent ones have a WIFI builit in. Others have a slot on the LH side for to add a PCMCIA-type wifi card. Go to the Free.fr web site and log in. you can order a card from here (27Euros)

You will also need to go to one of the technical pages (the ones with the spanner-and-gear logo) and tick the box instructing it to treat the Free box as a router rather than just an ADSL adaptor. On the same page you need to generate a WPA key code (cle).

Once you have installed the WIFI card (if needed) Disconnect the freebox, give it 30 seconds, then reconnect it. Now ask the laptop to look for the wifi network. It will ask you for the key you generated earlier, and that should be it.

Thanks for the help Paul.

I have activated the router facility as you advised and each of the two machines now has its own 'private' IP number.

However I cannot get them to see each other as a network.

There are a range of IP number boxes refering to: redirection de ports,  plages de portes  and DHCP /MAC numbers.

All the user definable numbers are set at 0. Do I need to do something with theses or should the network set itself up automatically?

Thanks

Bill

[quote user="Le 47"]

Thanks for the help Paul.

I have activated the router facility as you advised and each of the two machines now has its own 'private' IP number.

However I cannot get them to see each other as a network.

There are a range of IP number boxes refering to: redirection de ports,  plages de portes  and DHCP /MAC numbers.

All the user definable numbers are set at 0. Do I need to do something with theses or should the network set itself up automatically?

Thanks

Bill

[/quote]

Sorry Bill, I don't know nearly enough about ports and MAC numbers to be of any real help to you with your network.

If you are referring to the ports and DHCP numbers on the Free.fr setup page, then I think they refer to the router's access to the outside world, rather than its own internal communications to and from the other computers which comprise your local net: as I say, I think this is the case, but I'm more than willing to be corrected by some more savvy net-nerd.

Just a thought (probably too obvious, but nevertheless...) have you enabled file sharing on all the hard drives of the various pc's? [START]/[MY COMPUTER] should show enabled drives with a supporting hand under them.

Then [START]/[MY NETWORK PLACES] should show a list of hard drives on the other machines on the network.

paul

Thanks for al the replies

I have Windows XP on both computers and have used the home network wizard as directed on both machines. I have made all c drive shared etc. No recognition of each other still.

I am still wondering whether there is supposed to be an automatic set up when the router function is activated. To me with my limited french it seems to imply it. in any event it stil doesn't work as a network.

I am left thinking maybe I have to rename some ports or something.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks again

Bill