hi ive just ploughed through reams of technical stuff on this section of the forum and it looks like the place for my  ,my question is simply this ;moving to france soon ,can i take my english phone with an adapter ,and how do i set up a phone link ? socket allready installed by previous owner.is it just contact france telecom ?:and what is the most popular i n t provider ? my house is north west dordogne .and are the tarrifs similer to the uk ? many thanks for any info john

John - your phone (whether plug in or cordless) will PROBABLY work with an adapter if it is not made from bakelite - try searching for telephone or adapter in the search box, there was definitely a thread with all the info you could want on this subject. 

You'll need to sign up with France Telecom (they have an English speaking helpline - again, the number is here if you search).

All Internet providers are much of a muchness.  Free, Neuf, Alice, Orange, et al.  Phone with unlimited calls in France and most of Europe plus broadband Internet (if your phone line is adsl) about 30€ a month.  Again, the info is here somewhere.

Our experience was that some UK phones will work and others won't. Some will work except they don't ring. As a stop-gap when we first arrived we bought a cheap french phone and answered the english ones when we heard the french one ring.

Changing the plug for a french one is easy as only two wires are used on a normal phone.

Hope this is of use.