Do you know a good town?

Hello. My family lives in Mexico - we have two children, 2 and 5.  I am looking for a town that has:

1.  "Lots of boys that can speak English" - a promised to my 5 yr. old son.

2.  Good weather.

3.  Rowing for my husband.

3.  In a town with a population of 15,000 (+/-) and up - accessible to a metropolitan area.

Any thoughts - I'll add to my tour list.  Thanks for you help!

Michele

Hmmm, that's a hard ask as the the only place with a population you describe near to Northwest Spain would be Perpignan. And there ain't a lot of english speaking people here with children of your son's age. Mainly retired folk. What you want is somewhere further north. I could suggest Toulouse, but it's about three and a half hours to the Spanish border from there. The Toulouse/Carcassonne region boasts the Canal du Midi where your husband could do some rowing I guess. Toulouse is 3 hours from Perpignan. Its more 'international'.

• 1 month later...
Check out the market towns around Toulouse. It's a great city with thriving english speaking societies, yet is still thoroughly french. That would be my first choice.

Further west is Biarritz - my second choice.

Good luck,

Ian

Got to agree here - I live near Revel (and have done for just over 3 years) it is fabulous! Here's a webpage about Revel.

Although I am selling my house, staying close to Revel was a prerequisite of the building plot I have bought (and plan to constuct on once my converted water mill is sold).  It's a town just big enough to have everything, yet small enough to know well and bump into friends on a regular basis.  Quick access to Toulouse, mountains, seaside and the pretty Lac St ferreol is only 5 minutes away

Best of luck - again,

Ian

Also worth a look would be the beautiful city of Pau - much closer to the area of NW Spain where your sister in law lives.  I don't know about the rowing, but there are plenty of English people of all ages in and around the city (pop 70,000+).  It's very close to the Pyrenees (good skiing) and the Spanish border and not far from the French (and Spanish) coastal resorts too.  There's a website for English people in the area  http://pau.anglophones.com with an e-mail contact who could probably tell you more.  Another website in English with a description of Pau and lots of useful links is http://www.pau.aeroport.fr/.  Sorry - those links worked perfectly when I tested them a few minutes ago but they now seem to be erratic!

What about Biarritz.

Only 40 km from the border with Spain and the beautiful city of San Sebastian, It is also next to Bayonne, which has the Aviron Bayonnais rowing club. The rowing is done on the river ' l' Adour ' Biarritz itself is an old town with a lot of history.

The area has beautiful beaches, lots of golf clubs, surfing and is very close to the Pyrennees for mountain activities. jonet' . As it is a popular tourist area, the amount of English speakers is quite high.

I have been living here for 6 years now and don't regret one minute of it.

• 3 months later...