Moving furniture from the US to France

We have lived in France for 4 years and just sold our house - with all of our furniture.  We have also just bought another house - unfurnished.

We are considering buying furniture in the states and shipping it to France. Does anyone have experience with the relative costs of doing this and any horror stories that will help us decide one way or the other.

Hello,

As suggested by Bug Bear it is likely not very economical to buy in the USA and ship to France.  We shipped a container of furniture and furnishing from the US a number of years back.  The shipping costs and insurance, even though we packed and unloaded the container, were around $4000 US.  This was the most economical method we could find.  Even though nearly everything in the container was used we were still charged VAT and customs fees on such things as bicycles, tools, and anything the customs inspectors thought was new. This brought the grand total of the shipment to around $6000.

At that time the French government allowed a one-time (only one shipment in other words) exclusion for used items over a year old, I believe.  In your situation, with new items you will pay VAT and customs fees which will amount to around 50% of the declared value. So, all in all, unless you already own the stuff and it is used, it is probably not economical.

Where are you in France? Just curious about where other Americans are living.

Jim

Thanks for the confirmation that once all costs are added together with the hassle factor, it is less expensive and better to buy locally.

We are in Dept 24 - the Dordogne.  Sold our home in Beynac and bought in the village next door - St. Vincent de Cosse.  Not quite as picturesque as Beynac but there will be no tourists opening our front door and looking into our house.  We once had people walk right into our kitchen while I was sitting there on my computer.  I was about to charge a 20 euro admission but thought that would not go over well with the Mairie.