New O2 Roaming Offer

If you have an O2 mobile (Contract or Pay As You Go), and use your phone a lot when in France, you may be interested in a new scheme which has just been launched called “My Europe Extra”.

For £10 per month, incoming calls are free to receive and calls made when in Europe within the country or to other European countries are charged at 25p per minute.

“My Europe Extra” can be added for a month at a time when required.

There is a “fair use policy” – after a total of 1000 minutes of incoming and outgoing calls in any month, O2 reserves the right to charge their normal roaming charges.

If you want more info have a look here:  http://www.o2.co.uk/termsconditions/tariffsandboltons0153

I have a pay as you go O2 mobile and do use it when in France and I had /have the old europe bolt on which was under a £5 a month I recieved a txt saving that something was changing and to txt europe to O2 , all well's I thought but then recieved a txt when in France saying I already had the bolt on, what am I doing wrong! I don't think I've been evr offered anything at £10[8-)]

Hi Miss Babs,

I’m not sure what deal you were getting for £5 a month.  Since summer 2006 O2 have had a scheme called “My Europe” for PAYG and Contract customers.  This is free to opt into and gives you incoming and outgoing call charges within Europe at 35p per minute.

The new scheme, “My Europe Extra”, costs £10 for a month and makes outgoing calls 25p per minute, but the biggest win is that incoming calls when you are in Europe are free.

If you were to receive 60 minutes of incoming calls with “My Europe” it would cost you £21, or nothing with “My Europe Extra”.

“My Europe Extra” was introduced fairly recently.  You can check what bolt ons you have by calling O2 on 08705 678678 (PAYG).

Thankyou for that, I am a luddite when it comes to my phone, I've now looked at the website and I'd missed the extra bit off (doh) but being able to buy it for just a month at a time is good value I will certainly be using it next time I go.

When I/m over there most of the time it wants to connect to Orange but at our house there is no signal, so a friend showed me how to find an available newtwork which it does easily enough but my question is what rates am I paying when that happens and will I still get the bolt on benifits?[blink]

With your O2 mobile set to automatic network selection it should constantly be looking for the strongest local network [when you’re abroad].  You can manually choose which network it selects in France (SFR, Orange, Bouygues) although you should get better reception with the phone set to automatic network selection.  I’ve sometimes found that I can get a stronger network by switching my mobile off and back on – although this shouldn’t be the case!

If you find a particular network works best in your area, then you can manually select it.  With the O2 “My Europe Extra” deal it doesn’t matter which local [foreign] network your phone uses.

If you were on Vodafone UK and had their foreign travel scheme (“Vodafone Passport”) you’d have to manually select SFR when in France, otherwise you’d be stung with high roaming charges if your phone selected Orange or Bouygues.

I too have a loathing of mobiles, but our house is in the middle of nowhere I often go to do renovations on my own leaving moh to run our business and am often driving around france on my own, so its for safety more than anything else (also moh wants to know how much I've done eachday[;-)] and that I don't sit on the terrace too much drinking an apero[:D])

I've tried letting the phone find the strongest network (by turning it of) but it always seems to find Orange but if I try to use Orange it always cuts me off hence changing it to SFR which does work.

Thanks for the info on O2

• 2 weeks later...