How to connect to the Internet in Pas-de-Calais, France?

On earlier visits over the last two years I managed to connect to Orange France with the help of a friend who has lived in the area for sometime.  However, I had to have everything reinstalled on my computer before my last visit to France and attempted to reinstall Orange France myself with very frustrating results.  When I drilled down to my usual email log-in the line would drop.  My earlier logins were also extremely slow.  Is there something better I can do?  My french neighbours all seem to connect via Livebox but it seems to cost about 30 euros a month and even though we are in France roughly six months of the year in total I did not want to pay this on top of my France orange phone rental.  Language is a problem at the moment but I am working on it.  Also extremely limited technical knowledge.

Well the conection is not gonna be any quicker cos you will still be using Dial Up max 56k but normally about 40k. The only way to increase internet speed is to speed up the conection ie adsl. I would dump the orange install and just set up a dial up network, it uses MS componetants and not the largeish program from orange and it all in english.

Go start, programs, accesories, new connetion wizard aand then foloow the instruction

hope this helps

Nige