I have just taken an ADSL filter plug-thingy apart and as far as I can see, the ADSL socket (forgotten again... RJ11?) is conected directly to the incoming pins, and it is the telephone socket connections which go via this natty little collection of C's and R's.

Given that this is the case, and given that FT wire houses in at least 4-wire (and usually 4-pair) what would be the downside of hardwiring one of these filters where (or just after) the FT box joins the external drop-wire to the internal multiwire? Dedicating one pair to the ADSL signal, and another to the analogue phone signal.

I could then swop the single socket into which a filter is plugged, for a 2-line socket, one line for phone, the other for 'puter.

Would cross-talk be a problem, do you suppose?

At least I could get rid of this ludicrous, wobbly Christmas tree of adaptors and filters hanging out of the wall!

p

Indeed you can - it is part of the specification for modern telephone/data wiring.

Unfortunately, my book with the connections is in the van, but I'll post a diagram if you (or anyone else) is interested - as soon as I have fixed the scanner (again).

If you are using decent (cat5) cable then x-talk isn't a problem.