Problems with skype - !

Totally confused. New lap top with vista running well. Downloaded new skype last week. (Have  used skype for years with XP on older computer  ) all well then suddenly skype options -video- will not hold" intergrated lap top web cam" as default . Sometimes it starts off OK as default then halfway through call the other person sees us as an avatar even though we have touched nothing!! I then try to alter default web cam but it insist on showing a flippin avatar , driving me potty . Also confused as skype is now showing another version of skype since last week called Beta for windows !! Any ideas please. Could  anyone recomend messenger instead? Mrs MBK

thank u for the help. I have now uninstalled skype and also real player which I installed at the same time as skype.

Installed messenger , now when I test webcam Dell avatars are not jumping in and taking over the webcam, phew. Its been suggested that real player can have many bad issues as and when so perhaps it was 6 of one and half a dozen of the other.[:D]