Birthday Party

GJSL

Our daughter's birthday is coming up shortly and she has requested a birthday party. Having only recently arrived in France (south Vienne) my wife and I are not sure of how the French go about birthday parties for children. Our daughter has just started school (CE2) and would like to invite some of her new friends round. Any suggestions or advice?

Graham

Hi,

Having two daughters at school here in France, one in CE1 and the younger in "Grande section", we are always ferrying them off to birthday parties.
From our experience, most French childrens parties are usually held at the childs house and are usually quite low key as compared to the English way of doing things.

When Ruby (7) had her last party, we played pass the parcel, pin the tail on the donkey, musical chairs, and finished with a mini disco in our lounge! - and then cake and candles of course.

This went down really well with the children.The other parents still talk about the great fun their kids had at her party!

Get your daughter to make the invitations, perhaps on the PC? Another tip - give them to her teacher to put in the childrens bags when they leave school, rather than hand them out in class as this can prove dissapointing to uninvited kids.

Have fun!

Paul

If you are not French yourselves, why try to do things the same as they do?

I am sure it will be more exciting for the children invited to be entertained by something different.

Whatever you decide, I hope it all goes well. Let us all know later on.

Wendy K.

• 2 weeks later...
My daughter has just had the most wonderful Birthday Party, all the taditional British party games pass the parcel, blind mans buff etc great fun was had by all the children. It turned out to be the best birthday party we have held. Thanks again for all your advice

Graham