I'm about to set up a PC, with Internet connection, for some french friends. They acquired it from a nephew, but they don't have much IT knowledge, so I've offered to help them.

The PC is a Fujitsu Siemens Scaleo - Pa 2662 P9501. As it is about 1 - 2 years old, I'm guessing it'll have Vista Family installed. They have also signed up to Orange for their ADSL service, so have a Sagem Livebox (and phone, but I'm planning to ignore that).

I've not had it fired up yet, but according to the spec, it doesn't have WiFi capability, so I need to install something to provide this. I'd prefer something that plugs in externally, as I don't want to have to open it if possible. What does the panel recommend? Preferably something simple that can be bought locally (Chateauroux) in, eg, Auchan or Carrefour, or one of the small IT shops you find in a mall.

Thanks

I have used a lot of these external devices over the years. The ones that have  cable and a separate directional box/aerial are usually better than straight plug-in 'stubbies'. Nothing seems to beat an onboard device though. Good luck.

John

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

Check out this [url=http://www.cdiscount.com/informatique/materiel-reseau-wifi-internet-bluetooth/hercules-cle-wifi-ok-livebox/f-10715121301-4790015.html]WiFi Key[/url] for use with the Orange Livebox.

Good supplier, prompt delivery.

[/quote]

Thanks, SD. I'll have a good look

Easier than I thought. Whilst rummaging in a box of PC bits, I found an old D-link wireless adapter that my son had bought for his Linux PC. With the latest Vista driver, it's working! (Though only after remembering about pressing the WiFi button on the Livebox - THAT wasn't mentioned in any of the how-tos I found and read beforehand....).

Thanks for all the input