Realigning Digibox with Sky--HELP!!

After posting on my 'Replacing Digibox' thread that I just plugged the new box in and off we went viewing Sky telly again, unfortunately the first channel I watched was a free view channel, so obviously I was able to pick the channel up. When I then tried accessing a 'pay' channel I got a message reading Insert Viewing Card, so realigning my card with Sky needed carrying out.

The person telephoning Sky for me this morning was confronted with a lady at the other end asking for the version number of the new box, the box is an Amstrad DRX550, I gave him the barcode number on the side of the box it came in, but I am unable to find any other number, the lady at Sky said the barcode number given was not the correct one. Does anyone out there have the same model? If so can you point me in the direction as to where I find the version number please.

As well as asking for the version number the lady said to push the Services button, stating this would transmit the information that she required, obviously the person phoning for me was unable to do this, but if we arrange a method of him telling me when to push the Services button, will this be sufficient for the realignment or will there be further information required that I can pre-arm him with?

Maybe the above is a bit garbled, but basically I suppose what I am asking is, has anybody any experience of having their digibox realigned with Sky?

Many thanks in advance.

I'm using freesat at present so don't have a Sky box connected, but am pretty sure that if you press the 'services' button on the Sky remote control, then choose 'system set up', you will get a 'system details' option, which will tell you the manufacturer, model number, version number, serial

number, viewing card number, operating system version, and EPG software

version
. These are the details that your colleague will need to give Sky.

See http://www.astra2d.com/services.html

Thanks for that Will, I found the version number Sky are asking for in the System Details window that you suggested looking at. Although when I press my Services button I get a blank screen at the moment, I had to access it via the TV Guide button and then scroll across to the Services icon. So one part of the problem solved.

Does anybody know if I use my UK mobile phone to telephone Sky myself could they detect the call was coming from France?

[quote user="Grecian"]. Does anybody know if I use my UK mobile phone to telephone Sky myself could they detect the call was coming from France?[/quote]

There is no way that Sky will know in which country you are using your UK mobile. However. there is a possibility that your call may be logged as International and Sky will then cancel you card permanently. The only foolproof  way of talking to Sky is from the UK, this can be achieved by supplying your contact with the details given by Will. But possibly the best method would be connected to your UK contact whilst they speak to Sky, so at least you will be on hand to answer any additional questions if required.

Baz

Now this is a bit embarrassing, after seeking help from all you good people out there regarding realigning my new digibox with Sky, after my contact back in the UK thelphoned Sky for the second time he was informed that the viewing card is in the wrong slot! Now to be fair to myself on the front of the box there is only one slot in obvious view, but the slot for the viewing card in underneath a flap. Being a male I did not read the instruction manual fully, but upon looking at the manual it does tell you to pull the flap down and insert the card.

After placing the card in the correct slot, bingo, all my pay channels were back, so there was no need to have telephoned Sky in the first place!

I would like to thank you all for trying to steer in the right direction, and in future I promise to read the manual fully before posting on these boards!