orphaned nestlings

Hi, hope someone can assist.

I searched the site before posting but could not find any similar posts.

I have looked at all the links to the animal welfare sites and cannot find one that deals with birds. My French is not good enough for me to use the French equivalent of the RSPB. Following some pruning yesterday afternoon I discovered a nest containing three nestlings. Just getting flight feathers, but also with plenty of down. I replaced branches around the nest, hoping that the parents might return. I left well alone, but saw no sign of the parents. Last thing last night, about 10pm I had another look. the nestlings were snuggled down low in the nest. No sign of the parents.

I'm going to keep an eye from a distance this morning to see if the parents return. Failing that, is there anyone out there that has helped feed and rear orphaned birds. I have got some information from Tiggywinkles site and a couple of others. I think they are sparrows.

We live in 47 Monflanquin.

Paul

I very much doubt that they are sparrows nesting in a tree, but whatever they are, if they are not being feed you are going to have to do something a bit smartish. You are welcome to call me to talk about it.

Chris 05 49 87 65 18 or 05 49 87 65 04

Hi Chris,

Thank you for your reply. I was just about to telephone you, when my wife suggested I check on them again, in case they had died during the day. I had already looked through my binoculars, but not for long enough. I returned, and would you believe both parents turned up at that time and fed them! That's a big weight off my mind now! I thought it was unusual to see sparrows nesting in a tree, but that was my initial thoought from the wing feathers that were just developing. Having seen the parents I can confirm not sparrows, but Greenfinches.

Thanks again.

Paul

ah, all's well....

we've just spent the past few days watching a bird (I have no idea what, very small with tail sticking straight up in the air) coming to and fro feeding chicks. got a god bit of video of the feeding sessions (it's within spectator distance of our patio) and this morning we were remarking how quickly the chicks have grown as big as the parent when I decided to fetch my camera and caught the first flight of one of them. horrible quality picture but  a fabulous sight! the poor thing looked a little shook, I'm not sure if it intended to fly out or just fell out and kept going! the parent (mother? father?) has just spent hours getting them back up to the nest for the night, not sure if they succeeded though...