Home Offered to Young Spaniel

Hi

The OH and I have decided that our young Jack Russell cross is lonely and we would like to get another dog.

We live in the centre of 40 acres and our new dog would have an active outdoor life.  Mickey, our 8 month old JRX, is very boisterous, friendly and loves other dogs.  He's also very fit, strong and much bigger than a normal JR.  His typical day is to run after rabbits, "help" me feed the horses, play with our 4 year old daughter and then collapse exhausted in front of the fire. 

After much talk, we have decided that we would like a Spaniel, ideally an English Springer type but probably not many of them about.  Preferably a girl but would still consider a boy.  Not a puppy but a young dog.  It obviously needs to be good with children and the potential to be sensible around the horses.  Mickey learnt quite quickly to stay out of their way when the yearling pounced on him.  [:$]

We are in Tarn et Garonne but would travel a little way. 

Lynda

I take the hint Christine!  Can't take her myself but I'll ring and get some more info and distribute it to the dalmatian world!

There is also the SPA in Montauban for the original poster - quite a lot of spanielly type dogs round here.

Thank you, Christine.  The Dally certainly looks a lovely handsome lady.  I have contacted Poorpaws for more information.

Thanks, Cerise.  I have already been on the SPA site but didn't find a reference to Montauban, only Deux Rives.  Is that the same thing?  I scrolled through the 67 dogs that they have.  They all tug my heartstrings but don't quite fit the bill at the moment.  I'll resist a little longer.

Lynda

Lynda - if you need any dali info (owner for 32 years myself) please feel free to pm me.  She looks sweet and they are excellent companions for other dogs.  Mischievous though, so if your JR is already naughty they would make a demon team.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to let you know that we are off to meet Pepper the Dalmatian on Saturday.  It turns out that she is only 10 mins down the road from us.  I am told that she is very beautiful but shy of strangers - bit like my daughter so I'm sure they'll get on fine.  [;-)]

I hope that she is the right dog for us as it turns out that this is the second time she has been in a shelter for adoption and she's not even 2 years old.  I am sad for her but a little nervous that there was a reason her previous two families couldn't keep her.  We shall see.  I will let you know how we get on.

In the meantime, perhaps someone could clarify something.  Is it true that large dogs have to be muzzled in public?  If so, would Pepper the Dalmatian class as a large dog?

Lynda

Poorpaws have told me the reason for leaving the last home, which appears to be no fault of Pepper's, but that family had adopted her themselves from the SPA so I don't know. 

Apparently she is with an SPA inspector at the moment so maybe she will be able to tell me on Saturday. 

Lynda

Lynda - make sure that you check she is not deaf.  If in any doubt ask if you can arrange for her to be PEA tested.  A small percentage of dalmatians suffer from hereditary deafness and this can be a factor in them being rehomed several times.  Hopefull this is not the case.  If you want any more info do get in touch.

Maggi