Electricity

We will complete on our house on the 30th of June (can't wait)!
Our main problem is that the current owner has had his electric supply cut off, Does anyone know how we should go about having the power reinstated? Is there a website or are things done over the phone. We would like to get this sorted so we will have power around the time complete.
Also, does anyone know of a reliable bulder to install a fosse
near to Gace, Normandy (Orne, dept 61)?

Regards John

Hi,

Not an expert on this by any means, but could your immobilier not arrange this for you - ours did (she also dealt with water connection and eventually also the telephone connection).

Failing that I think you will have to have something in writing from your notaire to prove that you will be the owners on the set date (I believe the document you need is called and attestation) to show EDF.

Penny

There could be a number of reasons why the electricity has been cut off from non-payment of bill by the previous owner to unsafe installation. The former is more usual.

EDF do have a Web Site and an English version as well www.edf.fr, whilst the central receiver of enquiries from the site response very quickly and in French or English as appropriate, if the enquiry needs to be sent on to a local agency you will get mixed help. This will range from a perfectly written English response with considerable help to absolutely nothing depending upon who receives it (I guess). If you get no response no amount of repeat enquiries or FAX messages seems to bring anything.

The only sure way is to ring them up direct and usually someone can be found to speak English - if French is a problem.

You might be able to organise the reconnection from the UK without anyone needing to be in the property otherwise make an appointment for the first day you are in France.

If all of this is too much for you to cope with then by all means try the Notaire who is dealing with the purchase. Otherwise if you want me to contact EDF for you I would be happy to do so.

Email me privately and I'll do what I can.

CHRIS

> We will complete on
>our house on the 30th
>of June (can't wait)!
>Our main problem is that the
>current owner has had his
>electric supply cut off, Does
>anyone know how we should
>go about having the power
>reinstated? Is there a website
>or are things done over
>the phone. We would like
>to get this sorted so
>we will have power around
>the time complete.
> Also, does anyone know
>of a reliable bulder to
>install a fosse
>near to Gace, Normandy (Orne, dept
>61)?
>
>Regards John

Hi John
We have just completed on our house , & our estate agent arranged the electric and water .
Our property is in Anceins near Gace (18km) away , are you local to us.
We were told that main sewerage is going to be installed by next year when the law changes , it might be an idea to ask about main sewers , it could save you a lot of money.
Good luck , get back to me if you need any help not that I know that much !!!
Brian