Worming dogs - necessary?

Franglais24

Hello,

If we were still in the UK we'd been giving Drontal tablets to our dogs this weekend. Should it be any different now we're in France? Are they necessary here (we don't have children)? Are there different brand names? Where could we buy them from - just the vet's? Any other related info?

Thanks,
"F24"

I can't see why living in France should make any difference to your worming program. I worm all my animals regularly as they can get worms here as well as in the UK, and even though you don't have children, their worm-infested faeces can still pose a danger to other children. Apart from that, worms can do an extraordinary amount of damage to the animal's gut. I too use Drontal and you can buy it at the vet's or in a pharmacy that will sell animal products (most around here do).
On the other hand, you must be even more vigilant with your tick and flea treatment in France than you might have been in the UK as the ticks here can carry very nasty diseases.

Regards,
Christiane

Hi there. Yes, please do carry on worming your dogs - it is the responsible thing to do. For those of us who have suffered from toxacara cariasis - well a bit of care back in the early days might have prevented it.
Kathryn