Can you recommend a Kennel?

Chris_Haze

Does anyone know of a good kennel around Poitiers/Parthenay or within a reasonable drive of either?

We have had one 'not so good' experience with a french kennel near to us and will definitely not be trusting our dear old beagle to anywhere like that again. 

We're also going to ask our vet if he can recommend anywhere, but it would be great to hear from anyones personal experience on this forum as you're more likely to be basing your judgement on English kennel standards.

Looking forward to helpful replies as ever.

Thanks

Hazel

[quote]We use M Dubois at La Tourtaire, Le Clos du Chataignier, Terves. 0549725136. Between Parthenay and Bressuire[/quote]

Thanks for the reply we will probably give them a call and arrange a visit one weekend and take our dog with us.

If theres any other info you can share with us that would be helpful, i.e., do they have covered runs so that the dogs aren't left out in the rain? Do they walk the dogs once or twice a day? Anything that you think important would be helpful.

Thanks so much, will post a reply on how we get on.

Regards

Hazel

We have only used her for cats! She has kennels as well. Ours went for the first tilme in their lives 2 years ago. As one of them was 19, I was really worried. Went we collected them, the younger one clung to the woodwork and didn't want to come home. The 19 year old came home full of beans and in incredible condition. She only feeds top quality food and our cats adore her.

Incidently, you walk past some of the dogs to get to the cats and as she passes the dogs come up to the fences in the pens and wag their tails. They all look very contented and happy. They have kennels and good size runs and I beleive are walked daily. She can cater for special needs and offers heaters etc. Everywhere is clean. She speaks some English and uses the local vet who is a treasure and speaks English. She also doesn't mind if you go and check  out the kennels first. That's normal. Hope you like her as much as we do if you go

Hi

On Freyjabear's recommendation, we used the kennels for our Japanese Akita when we went back to the UK for Christmas.

He appeared extremely well fed, (which pleased my husband, who had put him into a kennels in the UK for almost double the price we paid here in France, and the poor thing looked half-starved when collected!).

The guy who runs the place was very pleasant (although if you don't have fluent French, take a dictionary and all your paperwork when you go on a visit, so that if you do decided to put your dog in the kennels, you can do all the paperwork there and then).

They do tend to get very booked up at certain times of the year (especially August) so you really do have to book in advance.   I have also been told there is a Kennels just outside Cerizay (between Cerizay and St Mesmin).

Good Luck

[quote]Hi On Freyjabear's recommendation, we used the kennels for our Japanese Akita when we went back to the UK for Christmas. He appeared extremely well fed, (which pleased my husband, who had put him in...[/quote]

Thanks Freyjabear and Jooles

This extra info is very reassuring - we will definitely check the kennels out by visiting but it sounds promising.

Thanks again

Hazel