Over friendly dog....

Ruthie

Hope that somebody has a few suggestions to help me with my 1 year old labrador cross. He is generally quite obedient, but a little too eager to greet people when they visit. He is very generous with his tongue and jumps all over people which as he is quite big and chunky isn't really acceptable. Some people have said that he will grow out of this behaviour, but I'm not too sure when and if it's not imminent then I would like to do something about it.

Cheers in advance

Ruthie (and Stan)

He sounds exactly like ours (which we got as a result of an appeal on this forum two years ago). The general opinion seems to be that it takes between three and five years before labs stop behaving like puppies. Ours is two and a bit and is just beginning to show signs of calming down slightly. If you can persuade people to ignore him when he greets them it will help - its difficult or impossible I know.

I've got one too.  Remedy to try? You and everyone who comes to the house to completely ignore him until he's either sitting on his butt or calmly standing then, and only then, give either a treat (works wonders with labs) or make a fuss.

We have 2 Golden retrivers age 2- jumping up can be a real problem especially as you know the friendliest dog is a wet and muddy one!

This is the method we were taught at puppy class- it does work but yoy need to prime all visitors familly ect so you can all give the sams response.

Practise first with people you know. Put your dog on the lead and have the helper come into the room or up to the dog and say hello. As soon as the dog jumps up the helper steps back out of reach [hence the lead] says nothing and avoids eye contact with the dog. This means the dog is getting no reward for bad behavior. As soon as he is on the floor, the helper steps forward and pets the dog. Every time the dog jumps up, step back again. It does not take long for the to realise that jumping up is not rewarded and they only get fuss when they are on the floor. Try doing this in different situations and with different people you can make a game of it- labs like to play and will soon see this as a game. A few minutes a day will soon make a difference.

If he jumps up when you are out with people you dont know, then tell them not to fuss him. Make him sit then let them pet him.

Ihope this helps, let me know how yoy get on!

Hi

Our dog is exactly the same. Problem is he can jump pretty high with his long tongue.

Visitors are concerned later when they see his preferred licking location !

And now he is a little older he has developed another unfortunate habit. Some visitors hop to the door whilst trying to shake him off the other leg.

A little too affectionate ?

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

Just to say thank you for all the advice....it's working and Stan has been put to the test as we've been inundated with guests over the half term!! Next problem...how to stop him disappearing when he sees another dog? He just zooms off and I have to chase after him.

Thanks again

Ruth and Stan