Raisin/grape poisoning in dogs

Miggimeggi

Was browsing the website of a reputable SA dog magazine the other day and came across a very sad story about a dog who died from raisin poisoning.  I knew that chocolate could be poisonous to dogs but  after more years with dogs than I care to admit to I had never heard that raisins and grapes could also be killers.  Coincidentally, I had put out raisins for the birds and caught my dog scoffing them off the ground, also when we eat grapes, mince pies etc., we will give them as occasional treats and they are readily accepted.

I don't want to pass any comment on the article written by an American vet except to say that I will not allow our dogs to have any grape based product in the future and the dried fruit we are using for the birds now is figs, prunes,apricots etc.  For anyone interested in reading the article the following link should take you there.  http://www.dogworld.co.za/forum01/health/health_comments.html#Anchor-60338 .  The item in question is amongst several in chronological order and is dated 28 April 2004.

Regards

Anne

[quote user="Deimos"]

Another one some people might not be aware of is Onions (so I am told) and probably loads of other things.

Ian

[/quote]

Yes, perhaps I over reacted but it was such a sad story and coupled with seeing my own spoilt and greedy brat out in the garden gobbling up the birds' raisins as if he was never fed and needed bird food to exist.......................

Must say I have never heard of onions (I once had a Lab. who stole them from the veggie basket and ate them raw) but there is the real horror - anti-freeze leaked out onto a garage floor, apparently sweet tasting and deadly.

Anne

[quote user="Miggimeggi"]

Yes, perhaps I over reacted …

[/quote]

I don’t think you over-reacted at all.  These unexpected common foods that are

poisonous to dogs are important.  I have

heard of a couple and am sure there are more but have never seen a “complete”

list.  I myself had a small panic just

before Christmas when one of mine got left in a room with a bowl of peanuts (which

he consumed) and I was then unsure if they were poisonous.  Fortunately it turned out that they are not –

provided your dog does not have an allergy to them.

Ian

The grape problem cropped up once before, someone mentioned it a few months ago, I think under the thread What to feed my German Shepherd, and I also was most surprised.  It's also mentioned under Gay's first link for dog biscuit recipes.

My mother used to say that Mr. so and so always gives his dogs onions, it kills the worms.  Then one day a French country lady told us never to give them onions as it makes them anaemic.

There are so many things we don't know about...

Hi

I knew about the dangers of raisins and grapes. From memory, it is something in the pips that dogs intestines can't digest.

The problem is that our dog loves grapes & raisins. We always walk him in the vines near our house and, from August - October , it is difficult to stop him vanishing to eat whole bunches of grapes from the vines.

But without ill effects, apparently.

Peter