Heartworm and titers

PossumGirl

Okay, we just got back from our terrific vet.  The answer to the heartworm question, at least in this part of the Aude/Ariege (we're right on the border) is that there is none around here.  The only real risk area seems to be on some parts of the Mediterranean coast.

Thus, the suggestion was to stop giving monthly Heartgard and to just do a twice yearly dose of Milbemax.

As to titers, they only appear to do them for Rabies and not the other vaccines. So, I just went ahead and got the Diva vaccinated.  She sees too many other dogs in her daily life for me to feel comfortable taking a chance and not doing it.

PG

Basically (my understanding) is that generally these days we over vaccinate our pets. Regulations (or general practice such as requirement to put your pets in kennels) seem to require routine excessive vaccination (e.g. yearly vaccinations for rabies and the “regular set”). This can cause immune system problems in animals. The idea of titres is to check the animals immunity before vaccinating and only to vaccinate should immunity have dropped below acceptable levels (or rather “adequate immune memory”). I.e. to vaccinate as required rather than on a regular basis irrespective of the need.

It is thought that some vaccinations can cause immunosuppression which can present opportunities for other diseases to take hold. It is also thought that over vaccination can cause allergy reactions over time. It is now considered likely that hypothyroidism and epilepsy may be linked to over vaccination. Although rare, vaccination does carry a degree of risk (e.g. anaphalactic shock) – so the fewer unnecessary vaccinations the better. Many people think vaccinating each year is significant over vaccination (and from what others have said titres seem to bear that out).

Although guilty of multiple vaccination at the same time with my own pets (i.e. the routine set and rabies all at the same time), studies have shown that dogs given multiple vaccinations at the same time were significantly more likely to become ill in the months following vaccination.

I guess it is a complex subject and I am no vet. Also, to an extent it does not make a massive impact on us pet owners as what we do is to a large extent determined by regulations (e.g. to keep out rabies certificates up-to-date). True there are some things we can do and being aware is always a good idea as we can lower risks for pets.

Ian

[quote user="Deimos"]Basically (my understanding) is that generally these days we over vaccinate our pets. [/quote]

From what I know in the US, the new recommendations are to only vaccinate every second or third year now.  The problem is finding a vet who will do that.  If I knew for a fact that Maggie's antibody levels were high enough to protect her, I would not vaccinate every year, especially as she has had two bouts of cancer (different types, both now gone).  But, because she is always around other dogs, I just don't want to take the risk, since illnesses transmitted by other dogs are probably more of a risk than the vaccines.

We have to make choices, pitting various evils against each other.  For example, I know a lot of people consider the topical flea/tick products "poison" and say they are dangerous.  But, for those of us in areas with tick/mosquito borne illnesses, I think the risk of THOSE is higher than the risk of treatment.

PG

[quote user="PossumGirl"]For example, I know a lot of people consider the topical flea/tick products "poison" and say they are dangerous.  But, for those of us in areas with tick/mosquito borne illnesses, I think the risk of THOSE is higher than the risk of treatment.

PG
[/quote]

If they had ever had a pet suffer from one of those tick bourne diseases, like I have, then they would think differently.  It's not nice and very serious indeed.  Having said that, there is a vaccine, not 100% effective, and no-one I know has their dogs vaccinated!

[quote user="Robbie34"]What are titers?[/quote]

Titres (English spelling) are the measurement of the amount of something required to have a reaction with something else.   So in this case it is a measurement of antibodies towards whatever is being vaccinated against.   So if an animal's antibody titre to a vaccinated-against condition is high enough, it doesn't need revaccinating