Carte types and materials

Afy

Now I have yet another problem....

Can not find a prefabricated crate big enough for the Dog. Also the airlines seem clueles as to what is the maximum size they can accomodate....

Anyone have any ideas...

[quote user="Afy"]

Now I have yet another problem....

Can not find a prefabricated crate big enough for the Dog. Also the airlines seem clueles as to what is the maximum size they can accomodate....

Anyone have any ideas...

[/quote]

Sorry  Afy, but I have looked at all the documents which we still have and cannot find anything which gives the dimensions of the crate which we had for our dog.  I do remember that our pet relocators made the crate themselves and that they had said that it was important that the dog had room to lie down comfortably, to be able to turn around and move a little but that he should not be able to stand up completely, but rather  that the size of the crate should encourage him to lie down as much as possible as that is the safest position for him to travel in - he was less likely to suffer damage lying down if the 'plane encountered turbulance.  I have tried to remember roughly the size of the crate which we only saw when we finally collected him, and would guess at the following: 5ft long(at the most), 3 ft wide and  a max. of 3.5 high,  if anything, I have overestimated here by an inch or two.  Whilst it seems that the dog may be cramped up a bit,  the flight, whilst long, does eventually end, and, as far as I know, it is only at the end that anyone will inspect her to see that she is alright.  Whilst you will want to try to do what is best for her,  the biggest crate is not necessarily the best.   Our crate was constructed on a "plank, equal space, plank equal space" basis, and, of course, it must be strong enough to contain a large strong and possibly  occasionally panicked dog.  The crate should be clearly marked that with the "this side up" label, in all appropriate languages - our dog finally arrived with the crate upside down, ie,  5 ft high and 3 x 3.5 at the base where the dog was.  Don't know when the change happened but he was, thank heavens, unharmed.  Hopefully it was only at the  final warehouse that the crate was upended.

I wonder if you have tried to contact any Dane breeders in India to see if they have ever exported dogs overseas and  for any advice they may be able to give.  I do remember several years ago in S. Africa going under an Indian judge at a show so it would seem that there is some expertise there.  Is there a Great Dane Association/Breed Club, whatever?  Breed clubs usually are very helpful and, of course, they have local knowledge. Have you ever been to a local dog show?  If you have the time and there is a show near you, you will find loads of exhibitors who are really happy to pass on any information they have.  Don't hang back - just go up to Dane exhibitors (or other giant or large breed exhibitor) and ask - it will surely be rare for them to be anything but as helpful as they are able to be.

The airlines do not seem to be being very helpful - they do have information available to them, surely, if they can be bothered to check with other countries'  (proper apostrophe for Dick Smith) offices - insist  that they enquire for you!!!!!!!!  Better still,  send your wife to insist, she  may be more emotional and so more successful.  Have a tantrum,  demand assistance,  Laila deserves it!!!!!!!

If necessary,  I do have a telephone number for the kennels in S A who made our crate and despatched our dog.  Have no idea of the cost (or even if they are  still the same people) but it may be cheaper than buying a plastic crate from USA.  If you want the number let me know either on the forum, PM or you have my private email.  Note - I have not been in contact with them since they exported my dog about 5 years ago and benefit in no way from suggesting that you contact them.

And if I am a bit pushy, well I am sorry but I just love the Danes so much.................................and I want the best for Laila.

Anne