Cat's third eyelid

louis

My cat's third eyelid appeared three days ago and apart from that there is no outward sign that there is anything wrong with him. He is eating well and is very active.

I have had cats for over 30 years and when this happens there is usually something wrong with them but not this time - any ideas please.

Always worrying but we have had quite a few cats over the years and some of them did show the third eyelid from time to time with no other symptoms. It would appear that this can be due to all sorts of things and yes some are serious but with no other symptoms it could in the simplest case just indicate a very happy cat. Worms and other tract problems have been associated with the display of the third eyelid as well as problems with the eye itself. If you have any doubts it might pay to see a vet soon. See http://www.petcaregt.com/catcare/catthirdeyelidproblems.html  Good luck to puss and being watched by two rampant kittens as I write this...................................JR 

PS See also http://www.vetinfo.com/chorners.html

One of my cats always had a problem with the third eye lid showing. It used to flare up and was put down to an allery to something she had put her face in. The vet thought perhaps stinging nettles or a reacting to grass or flower pollen. They can become quite inflaned and the vet gave me steriod eye drops to calm it down. Similar to us if we react to hayfever etc. I suggest a visit to the vet as it can be uncomfortable for them as it can't retract properly and could get an eye infection. Good Luck.

Good news indeed. Had our cat and kittens vaccinated and wormed at the vets today. Don't quite know why worms should cause the third eyelid to show but it is quite common I am lead to believe. One of our kittens had been bitten on the tip of the tail so antibiotics, just in case, and application of vetadine twice a day, great fun!..............JR