Cat getting up everyone's nose!

val douest

We have three cats and one of them, Tash, seems to cause tremendous allergy problems for people that way inclined and even for those who have not previously had any trouble.  Tash is a short-haired black cat with white markings who came as a very small kitten from a farm where he was about to be disposed of; his mother was a barn cat and although he is friendly and affectionate he still has some feral tendencies.  He is now four and with our other cats has free access in and out through a cat flap so it would be very difficult to ban him from the house, even if we wanted to.  But the problem really is quite severe:  I have to dish out antihistamines like sweeties to guests and at least two of our very good friends can only visit if we eat outside or in the guest cottage in the garden (from which all the cats are banned).  We also keep one section of the house cat-free but the cats have access to the kitchen/dining room/living areas - hence the problems with visitors.  We had no real trouble with super-sensitive guests until Tash arrived and these same guests can visit other friends with cats without problems.

Tash's fur is particularly dense, almost like an otter pelt, and I think the problem is probably caused by some kind of oil or secretion rather than loose fur flying around as he doesn't seem to moult  much.  Has anyone else had this problem?  And can anyone suggest any kind of solution - maybe a room spray which counteracts 'cattiness', or something I can apply to Tash's fur?  I live in hope.......

Val