2nd Opinion needed - Vet or Doctor please

mary

My 1 year old Labrador has been diagnosed with Diabetes Insipidus - Basically water Diabetes. To summerise the symptons, drinks loads of water and then a few mins later wants a pee and then the cycle starts all over again. He has also lost 5KG in 4 weeks.

Vet done various blood tests, urine and ultra sound on his belly. Then completed urine tests every 2 hours over course of the day and urine results all came back the same. Not sure of the test, but urine should read 1.20 and his was between 1.04 and 1.10.

He was prescribed a human drug which I had to take to the pharmacy. Drug in 'DESMOPRESSIN' - Brand name 'Minirin'. after 1 week of the drops, peeing stopped and so did water comsumption and weight stayed the same from the week before. Went to the pharmacy to order the tablets which he will be on for the rest of his life and burst into tears. Will cost 270 euro a month.

Dosage been given 0.2mg x 3 tablets twice a day. Obvioulsy can't afford this and went back to vet and he has said this is the only drug. I have searched and searched the internet in the UK, France, USA etc to see if I can get cheaper.

I have now managed to buy 100 minirin melt tablets for 150E and I am only giving 1 tablet twice a day at the cost of 90E a month to see if this will work. Which when you have two children, is a big chunk of money which I am finding it hard to justify. I know you have these decission to make when you have animals.

My question to any vet or Doctor, is there another drug I can try? is this the only option etc..... Could his condition deteiorate or even the ADH hormone kick back into working again. Will he get other complication from this...is this only the start.?

Any help would be appreciated. I dont want to have to make that awful decission when cost decides if he lives or not.