French Rewiring.....does anyone know the regulations?

Hi,

We have a house in need of renovation in The Somme, Northern France.  The thing is, we have read(in an issue of FPN) and heard that it is now legal for an English electrician using English cable etc to rewire a French house. Does anyone know if this is actually true? We certainly hope it is!

Sheila & Pete

No it isn't, I'm afraid.

UK cable is changing, but is still won't conform to French (NF) standards, not least becuase it is not NF marked (likewise French cable is not BS marked).

Besides which, a UK Electrician is unlikely to be French "qualified" (quote markes because qualifications here are not just about C&G's) and, as the systems are completely different, he/she may not appreciate the differences.

Use a French electrician, I'm afraid (there are plenty of good, ex-pats French electricians on this forum, myself excluded).

I ech Nick's reply and advice.  We are experiencing problems with EDF at the moment.  We have a pylon about 6 metres from our barn but they will not connect us as the system has not been wired by a french artisan and the building is not complete????    We are questionning the fact that they will not connect as the building is not complete as it might be ten years before the whole building is complete.  We asked about a connection for a 'chantier', building site, and they said they could do this for six months only and it would cost about 600 euros for the special connection box and another 300 euros to make the connection, then they would only renew this once. The box would have to be discarded when we had a permanent connection and the connection would be charged for again as well as another box. 

I had to pay 800 euros to EDF before they would even come out to tell me they could not do anything!!  The man who came was really rude and a french neighbour who just happened to be visiting us at the time was appalled at the way he spoke to us and in fact got involved in an argument with him, which probably didn't help!  Anyway we are looking for a french artisan locally now.

If you search on this forum you will find some other postings about my never ending electricity saga.......The farmer who pumps water out of the river next to us has just had a connection made direct to the pump from the pylon - no charge??? (his comment).

We manage very well with a 12 volt system/sun panels and back-up generator, we only really need the power for easier use of power tools and a freezer on constantly.

Good luck in your hunt, there is plenty of information on here about electricity regulations to help you.