New to Education System - AdviceHelpComments!

Sandrahobson

Hello All
Have read so much about education ups and downs over past yr, but am actually now here & doing it with the3 kids for real. It's hard, but so far am impressed. Our 3 are all at different schools, Teddy aged 5 at Maternelle, Vic at Primaire and Bob at College. After only 4 wks of school and v little french Bob (age 12 )was off to Brittany for 3 day trip. How I worried for her and indeed how I worry for them each and every day, BUT, all the staff and the MAJORITY of the pupils are v helpful and supportive and already Bob is having 3 extra hrs of french tuition per week to get her up to scratch and that is after her only bein enrolled for 5 wks, and being the only 'anglaise' in her year. What can I say - I am most impressed and couldn't ask for more help or support, but, and there is a BUT, whilst all 3 children are working hard and doing well, they all miss their UK friends SO much and we seem to be having a 'homesickness' time right now and as 'Mum', I am finding it very hard going emotionally. I know they still miss their UK friends etc, so do I and it IS early days, but how my heart strings are pulled when the occasional tear falls, and how hard is it not to cry too!! I would be v grateful for ANY advice on how the rest of you got thro' this stage and what the outcome has been. Don't get me wrong here, we are doing okay after v rough yr, but even so some words of support would be welcome....i do speak reasonable french, but still not enough to convey the needs of the chilren for their social life, their easy chat, nor the fact that whilst I recognise it will come in time, it's so hard to get children to appreciate that and also how do I overcome the feeling of 'it' my fault', 'I am putting them thro' this...', okay, I know, Mother's guilt trip time, but surely I am not alone here!!!! Thanks in advance, all advice gratefully received!!!!!!!!!!

Just some words of empathy with you. I moved here in May this year. My girls aged 9, 15 and 17 are also missing their english friends, not least because their french is so poor. The 15 year old in particular, as kids seem to avoid talking to her because I guess it's such hard work to have a conversation with her pigin french. She is also receiving extra french help but she feels progress is slow, although I can see the improvement. I know things will improve when she is able to express her vibrant funny personality more.

One thing I have noticed is that we do things more as a family together - we talk more, and we discuss how we feel and are able to support each other. You could try setting aside a time in the evening, over dinner maybe, when each one of you (adults included) get a chance to say what went well with their day and what went not so well, so that others may give some words of encouragement or praise, or just acknowledge if someone's having a bad day. That way, you can pull closer together and the kids may realise that their parents are also having tough days, and that you all help each other. I just keep telling my girls how proud I am of them, that they will reap the rewards later, and that they will have friends just as good as in England, but that it takes a bit of time for the French to get to know them while they are learning.

Anyway Good luck, if it's any consolation I also feel bad sometimes that I've done the wrong thing, but I know I'm right when the girls say that they wouldn't have wanted to stay in the UK, and they really want to make a go of it here, despite the difficulties now. I think we're closer as a family.
Bethan

Can I join in ???
My daughter is 2 and a half and I have been in terrible turmoil this week. The local ecole maternelle, where all the village kids go, wanted her to go for 4 mornings all at once . I wanted two days and build up. So i asked at the private nursery in town where they said she can go as many times as she wants, great I think. After one morning, everytime I mention school, my daughter is in floods of tears, and says she is frightened of the teacher. I am sure it is all words , BUT, say it wasnt.
SO, I have now decided to put her in the local one, as my husband thinks she wil cry if its for one day or four, true, and if there is anything unto order I am sure the other kids will tell their mums who will tell me.
I am emtionally exhaustead, but at last feel calmer.
I am sure when our kids are grown up, and are fluent in 2 or more languages, can horse ride(something we do every week for 5 euros each), probably snow ski etc etc, we will look back and be thankful we stuck it out.
Anyone want to email me please do
Regards
Lesley