Collections for schools by children

JohnRoss

It is perhaps a sad comment on modern society that it should give cause for concern that we have had young children coming round collecting for their school or college without adult supervision. They offer entry into a draw or items such as key fobs for sale which is fine as the collection is for a good cause but nevertheless worrying as they are being exposed to certain risks. Is this a new trend or is it that Les Anglais up the road having been here for 10 years are now considered safe to let the younguns call round..................JR

PS On a less serious note this is quite amusing http://www.hiti.fr/30-raisons-de-detester-les-anglais.php

They always did that in our village and I have no problem with it at all. The kids, primary age, not maternelle used to only go to the houses in the immediate vicinity anyway as they could end up on another kids patch.

Abuse, molesting etc which is actually something that affects far too many children is done by people they know.

Kids do die in road accidents and rarely some nutter will take them and keep them and/or kill them, the later being so rare that it is not something I would even consider happening.

I think that kids need to be out in the world. I am against kids being cocooned completely. If they are how do they learn to look after themselves in the future.

Yes it is a fine balance between too much care and not enough. The press would cite not enough when something bad happens and it does daily somewhere and has done no doubt since the stone age! As a kid in the late 40s, 67 this month, all we were told was don't take sweets from a stranger and never get in a stranger's car. Good advice and once when a big black car pulled up beside me at about the age of 11 and I was invited in with a promise of good things I am glad I followed that advice. Molestation by family members, as has been said, is more common. The mental damage done is sadly something those of us who taught teenagers would come across all too frequently..................................JR

I was a Mamam Poule, I was. Still am to some extent.

I didn't approve of 4 year olds off on their bikes in our village alone and zooming out of hidden driveways straight onto the road without looking and kids (and stupid adults) without lights on their bikes when it was dark. And 2 year olds being left at home alone, but what the heck when the parents were there this one kid would walk along the kitchen work surfaces and actually walk over the built in hob whilst there were things cooking and the mother wouldn't bat an eye lid.

I walked to school alone from the age of 5. I had the choice of crossing the big road, where it was dangerous and busy even then, or go to a lolly pop lady and at five, I really did know the difference in the danger involved. 

There is a balance and the possibility for a child to be taken is really so rare that that would not be a consideration for me. As you said, molestation, which in some ways could be the biggest risk, is unlikely from knocking at someones door.