car and bike

Barryandpat6

These forums are brilliant and very entertaining.
We intend moving to join our daughter later at the beginning of 2005 when I am 65. I have chosen two vehicles out of my collection of microcars to take with us, one is a LHD SEAT 600 Uk registered with 11,00kms on the clock. And a 1986 kawasaki ZL600 custom cruiser, also LHD ( it was an import from the US !)
Will I have any problems, or are they a bad idea?
I also have a manurhin scooter and a mobylette moped should I bring them as well?
any advice or comments would be welcome.
barry.

• 3 months later...
Did you not get any replies to your posted question? Perhaps this will regenerate some interest from others.
I am looking for a 'cheap' means of transport when in France. Choices include getting a scooter, a microcar or a very cheap, second-hand small car. I guess the latter two options will provide for a more versatile form of transport and will allow some(limited)space for passengers and some (very limited) carrying capacity for shopping, luggage etc. Has anyone got any thoughts and general information please?

You will probably be OK with the SEAT as long as it is imported officially into France, and SEAT can provide a Certicate de Conformit. The Kwacker is probably a different proposition as it may have never been imported officially into France and if that is the case you will find it very difficult to register in France.

That said you can legally insure a UK regd vehicle but in my experience only on the equivalent of a thrid party only basis. I have an old Espace that I have taken out to France. It is currently on UK plates but is insured there on an any driver basis for less than it cost to tax in the UK. I now have the Cert de Conf in my hand and will have to submit it to a french MOT (Controle Technique) after fitting some new headlights and then hope that the registration process can be completed.

On the bike front, there is one chap I know of you runs a fleet of classic english bikes to rent to holiday makers. Most of these are on UK plates and he reckons thatr they are all properly insured and that he has no problems with the law.

Stephen (19)