Help required registering/insuring unusual/classic vehicles

Franglais24

Hi,

Having now spent some considerable time trying to work out what we need to do to register and insure our modified classics in France (24), it's no surprise to me that many people run around on UK plates for extended periods!

I vaguely recall someone mentioning that there are people who will guide you through the process for a reasonable fee. Has anyone any pointers to these people, relevant owners' clubs, etc

Many thanks,

F24.

Try doing a search on this forum.  I am about to do so again!!!  Nothing happens fast down here, I seem to have slowed down to a near halt in line with the authorities.

Two months ago I went into our local Mairie to ask about changing the numberplates on our non-standard  LHD Range Rover, which spent some time in Saudi, was originally registered in North America, and has been changed to LPG.  I had previously been told that it would be impossible to change the plates on this.  Today I went in to collect the 'dossier' the Mairie had received from Carcassonne (The Prefecture), which consists of several forms to fill in and a list of documents to provide.  I have most of them, except the dreaded Certificate of Conformity. 

The very helpful secretary in the Mairie has said I should gather everything together and they will send it off for me and take any ensuing telephone calls or queries (shock, horror....).  So this is what I am going to do, she seems to think it will be easy, I have my doubts.

I think, if you know and get on with the staff in your Mairie, this should be your initial course of action.

I have found the telephone number of Land Rover France and will call them regarding the Certificate of Conformity this afternoon.  If it is any help to you I will post my findings and action here as I go through the process.....if anything this might make me do things a little quicker.  We also have a RHD Defender to change but think now with this we may tow it back to the UK and leave it with our son to sell.

So watch this space....now I am committed to doing something...

We're also about to do the same. We came across  Michèle Hivert at [email protected] so do try there. Very helpful.

Good luck

/clip from FFVE email

If you live in France, you can register your car in France "carte grise collection"
For that, you need :

V5
our form
quitus fiscal
2 photos of your car
1 chèque de 45 €

Franglais,

Check out the SW France Forum and find a thread I posted there about 10 weeks ago entitled "Re-registering a car in the North Dordogne" - I've spelt it out pretty much chapter and verse and believe me you do not need a helping hand to do it, just all the right documents and a bit of preparation with your French dictionary.