Insuring a car for move to France

Chocolate

Advice desperately wanted. We have just sold our house and are travelling to France on the overnight ferry on 15th December. In readiness, I have just bought a car which I have not as yet collected as I am trying to insure it through my current insurers. However, the advice from AXA is that as from the 15th I will not have a permanent UK residence and must take out an Overseas Insurance. Their quote is £784.18 ! This is apparently their best offer and includes a swop from a current insurance on which I have 9 years NCB.

I have said that I intend to take out a new insurance in France soon after arriving and was told that I would receive a refund for unused time. Now they are unhappy with that and expect me to continue for the full year as that is the purpose of the cover.

My question is - do I take out an ordinary fully comp insurance in this country, then cross my fingers that the 'Green card' will cover me for about a week whilst we travel across the Channel and down south until I can arrange French cover? I am worried that it would just be our luck to have 'Le bump', and this would be the let-out the insurance company might look for/ Is it the legal thing to do? How does everyone cover themselves for this interim?   

Have you actually moved from your house in the UK yet?  Do you have friends or family whose address you could use?  Is your UK post being redirected to your new address in France?

Where I came to France I got my vehicle insured at a UK address (where I was renting), then asked for a green card and carried on paying UK premiums for 3 months plus charge for green card (which covered me for 90 days), then when I got here re-registered the car to French plates and got French insurance.

Not sure if this is what I should have done and I did not tell the insurer I was actually moving!  Whoops!  Still, I am now fully insured here.

Hi

Think we are in the same position as you,our uk insurance runs out in Dec but we are only going to FRance in Jan,however we have been given help again by wonderful people on the forum,we have gone through a lady called michele(american)so she understands and all the info offer and quote is sent via e-mail in english,you can tell them when you want to begin the insurance from(when you go to France)it was very very resonable compared to uk and we have a discovery which we thought may be expensive.

Do you not have a base in France to give to them as your address in France?i have sent you an idea through your personal e-mail,to try and help

the insurance e-mail is [email protected]

do for the attention of michele,mention it is through helen who was recommended by Jan and Dave Parrott,

helen