Buy a car in France, use in GB as well as France?

ruedeleglise

To all you knowledgable people; is it crazy, cost wise, legal etc to buy a car in France, LHD with French insurance but to bring it back to UK? We visit our French house in Picardie every 6 weeks and a LHD car would be a boon. I have no worries about driving LHD in UK.

Probably, because most (all I know of) French insurance does not limit the amount of time you spend "abroad". If you are genuinely using it in both countries (and have a legit address in both countries), then I can't see what cause the "authorities" in either country would have to complain.

As reagrds cost, 2nd hand cars here in Fr are v. expensive, LHD cars in the UK can be very cheap, so that could be a more realistic option. In the UK, you would specifically need to search out an insurance policy that did not limit your time abroad.

At this juncture Someone is bound to point out that you have to register a UK car in France and vice versa, within 6 months, so I will render the comment unneccesary, 'cos it ain't applicable IMHO.

OK, but if the car was a new car....I would like to think the cost could be less for purchase, insurance (the same?) road tax (none in france???). So overall for the very little inconvenience of a LHD in UK for say 5 weeks out of 6 it could be a "cheaper" option. OR as you say buy a recent french LHD in UK and possibly "export " it to France...but am I there enough for the authorities to allow that?