UK car insurance quotes

Wizzer

Forgive me if this has been asked before, but can anyone suggest the best UK insurance companies for 'mid-term' cover in France.

The scenario will be that we would want the car in France between March and November next year but during that time it will go back to the UK.

Norwich Union say they will cover a UK registered car in France for a maximum of 180 days in the year, for an additional payment of £21, which seems quite good.

The AA gave me a quote for an 'overseas' policy where the car could be kept in France all year but the additional sum was about £550.

What I need is something between 180 days and 12 months, to allow me to make frequent trips, but the car won't stay in France long enough to warrant re-registering it.

Does anyone have any experience of this and any ideas who may give a sensible quote for say 8 - 9 months cover?

• 4 weeks later...
Zurich have a GOLD UK policy (formerly an Eagle Star policy) which provides unlimmited comprehensive cover for driving in Europe. Although not one of the cheapest policies around it is probably less expensive that using some of the "add-ons" that have already been mentioned.

Remember, however, that once your car has been in France for more than six months consequetively then it has technically been exported and the cover may not be valid. Make sure, when you go back to England you keep proof (ferry ticket, petrol receipts etc.) that the car has been back in the UK.