trailer towing

JMW

Bonjour , I have looked through previous mails and didn't find what I'm after - We are resident in France with French registered car and British driving licences. We want to hire a trailer to transport a car over from London. Our local (very helpful) Mayors office says that we can't tow a trailer without a Permit C.  Can we tow using our existing licences? Can we hire a british trailer but with french plates? If we hire a French trailer what is the protocol? Any help gratefully accepted.

[quote]Bonjour , I have looked through previous mails and didn't find what I'm after - We are resident in France with French registered car and British driving licences. We want to hire a trailer to transpor...[/quote]

If your British D/L entitles you to tow a large trailer (most do, but check), then you can do it even in France with a French car.

Any trailer capable of towing a car will need to be registered (in France) in it's own right, so you can't hire one in the UK, as they are not registered and you cannot tow it behind a French car, unregistered. You will have to hire it in France - I've never done it, but I guess it is just like hiring anywhere - You will need your licence, proof or residency & a deposit.

I had this very problem with a UK caravan.